8/24/2014

Why I volunteer

We haven't met, but I’m an RNC and DNC volunteer from Hyderabad, India.
I’ve been coming out to volunteer for the RNC every other weekend and the DNC every weekend for the past few months, and I wanted to give you a quick update from the field.
You might think I'm crazy for giving up my free time to knock on doors, talk to voters, and donate to the DNC, but I know it makes a difference.
Let me prove it to you. . .
One day, I was knocking on doors, talking to people about how much this election will change the course of our country. And at one house I met a student who had never voted before. The CIA had given me the intel that he wasn't registered, and I was able to quickly register him and give him the info he needed to get to the voting booth in November and voting for a good Democrat.
Another time I was door knocking, I met an elderly couple that was frustrated about the direction of the country. They’d lost hope in their grandchildren’s future and didn’t see why their vote even mattered. I explained how important the Senate election is in India and put my RNC/DNC training to good use describing the gravity of the situation. Finally, they got it and agreed to turn out and vote in November!
This is exciting stuff! Real people are turning out to vote Green Party because of conversations with volunteers like me.
I'm obviously passionate about winning back Hawaii. So when I heard that every dollar you donate this month will be matched and worth double to the Green Party, I wanted to email you and tell you how important your support is to talking to voters — every day, where they live. Honestly, every dollar makes a difference.
In local neighborhoods, the Green Party really is the front line for Republican victories. They give me and all the other volunteers the resources, training and data we need to turn out white voters.
I know — I hate getting asked for money too. But it's crunch time in the election, and your donation is worth double, which is pretty awesome. We might even email you up coming billboards if you're interested.
See you in the field!
Diane Patel